Monday, May 31, 2010

The Pick up Line Plague

I would like to begin my blog with a very simple statement...I hate...and I repeat..I HATE pick up lines. I mean who falls for those? Does anyone? I would love to know if there are any women in the world that actually dig pick up lines. It baffles my mind to think that there may be some who do, however if there weren't then why would men use them so often? I'm not quite sure if it was always this way, but everything is a mind game. I like to think that dating wasn't always such a game of trickery back in the old days, and because I dont have any information to prove my wish wrong I will roll with the decision that men have just recently started saying stupid things to women in the last 20 or 30 years.

Awhile ago I was out with my roommate, we were at a bar just kinda hanging out..looking around. Out of nowhere up walks a short buff white guy, and he chooses to start off his conversation with, "You look lonely, so I'm here to solve your problems." What a hero. I was quite content and to my knowledge didn't have any problems, atleast until he walked up. He started talking to me but being quite honest I have absolutely no idea what he was saying, I was occupying my mind with other things. I feel really bad for women who can't tune things out like I can, because I have found that once you turn 21 this feature helps alot. This deceitful male creature must have decided to play the pity card with me because he then said, "Yeah I dont go out often because I just got out of a really long relationship..infact I didn't even want to come tonight because I'm not a party type guy. I'm very shy with girls and dont really know what to say since I've been out of the dating scene for so long. The ex and I is still a pretty sensitive subject for me." Thank you for your autobiography.

Now...maybe a couple of years ago my first instinct would be to feel bad for him, and think he's just a nice guy who got his heart broken. Im not saying that hes a liar, but my instincts have developed a rather keen Bull Shhh** dar...And that dar was in code red. I was feeling rather fiesty, most likely due to the fact that it was the end of the month.. so I decided to say, "For being a shy guy who just got out of a long relationship, you're sure not too scared to walk right up to a girl and turn on the charm." He laughed and came back with, "Well I'm a Marine. And you have a nice face." Awesome answer. I have a nice face...if he only knew that I'm an extremely sarcastic female that blogs about men like him for fun. I tried to relate to his off the wall answer by saying,"Oh a Marine..I get it you kinda got that lock the target theory going on."

He began running out of stupid things to say, so I started transitioning back into talking with my roommate. When I thought I was in the clear, he stepped infront of both of us and lifted up the sleeve of his shirt to reveal a very large leprechaun, "Im proud to be Irish!" Oh how nice..and awkward. I told him that my roommate was Irish, and how cool it is that they have something in common. Okay, so yes I kind of threw her under the bus alittle bit by trying to stray his attention a different direction..but I was getting antsy!

We did end up escaping from him though, and luckily Alex (roommate) wasn't too upset with my manuever earlier. My favorite part about this story would have to be that later on that night, I saw this very shy heart broken Marine approach another girl with the exact same tactic and she was just as priviledged as I had been to get a chance to see the ever so famous leprechaun on his shoulder. Guess I wasn't so special after all. I suppose I can't blame him for simply following the famous saying, "If at first you do not succeed, try and try again."

No comments:

Post a Comment