Sunday, May 16, 2010

How Cool I Can Be.


My previous posts have been all about men and the goofy things they do. Unfortunately just like them, I have had moments where my cool was compromised. As a woman the last thing we ever really want is to scare a guy away..especially one that we're interested in. So for every girl that has had an embarrassing moment with that special guy, this blog is for you in hopes that it will make you feel a bit better.
My romeo in this story..we shall name him Henry. I had met Henry on St. Patricks day and we were keeping in touch through daily texting. One Friday night he told me that I should join him and his buddies at a bar. The minute I read the text I was so pumped and immediately started getting ready..however I couldn't let him know just how "pumped" I was so I simply replied with a, "My roommate and I may stop by for a bit..but I'll have to get back to you." This may sound silly but I'm a firm believer that in the beginning you should never show that youre 1: too available..and 2: too eager. While choosing my outfit I decided I must wear heels for the ultimate wow factor. Unfortunately I hate wearing heels, and I dont walk that well in them. This however, did not matter to me at the time.
We finally made it to the bar and were standing in an uncomfortably long line. Although, we didn't have to wait very long because Henrys friend came out, saved the day and got us in. (Before I dive any deeper into my bar adventure, I must start off by saying that I was the designated driver..which means that I was not drinking)Henry and I were having pretty good conversation and it was going fairly well. Suddenly something came into my radar..another girl besides myself was taking a very particular interest in Henry. Whenever Alex (roommate) and I would wander off for a bit this nasty spider would creep in. From afar I began doing the very catty thing that us women do, which would be comparing her every feature to my own. I didn't find her extremely attractive, but I was still slightly alarmed. On that note, I also came to the conclusion that I should not sit there and let the nasty spider ruin my night. So the plan of action was to walk by like I didn't even see them, and go to a part of the bar where I couldn't see them. My theory was sort of out of sight..out of mind. As I was casually walking by, there happened to be a puddle of something on the floor. Well due to my awesome choice of footwear, the moment I stepped in the puddle I began losing my balance. I didn't see myself however I imagine it looked similar to the scene in the movie Bambi when the baby deer stepped on the huge patch of ice. Legs going every which way, I fell..HARD. I literally landed almost at their feet. Looking up I saw Henry and the nasty spider staring at me with a very shocked face. Hmm..so that wasn't exactly what I had in mind.
I quickly got up and turned to walk away, and almost fell again! I was mortified...not only did he see me fall...but the girl I was silently competing with saw me as well. Falling is something that everyone does, but why did I have to do it in a bar..completely sober..infront of someone I would like to impress?? To top it off, I was wearing white spandex which were now partially wet. I went as far away from them as I could, hoping I didn't see him for the rest of the night. Being the good friend that she is, Alex immediately started trying to make me feel better. Suddenly a random guy comes up to me laughing and says, "That was so funny man...are you completely wasted or what?" Oh thats Cool..so people on this side of the bar know too? My face was a lovely shade of crimson red, "No actually I haven't been drinking...there was something on the floor." He continued laughing and nodded, "Sure no need to lie..." He winked at me and wandered off. I now realized..that even though it was completely obvious to me that I fell because the floor was wet, to outside viewers I just looked like one of those sloppy drunk girls..in a bar.
This incident made me quite grumpy, and I desperately wanted to leave and go home. I had been so excited for tonight, and it was turning out to be such a disappointment...the guy Im interested in is talking to some chick probably having a good laugh about my lovely performance..my friend is standing awkwardly next to me not really saying much, probably because she ran out of things to say to make me feel better..and my lower half was wet. I suddenly saw Henry making his way towards me, not knowing what to do I decided to turn back to him in hopes that he may not see me. But of course...he did. He put his hand on my lower back and said, "Are you okay?" I tried to pretend me falling hadn't completely ruined my mood and I forced out a fake laugh, "Yeah I feel so silly..there was something on the floor." He then started laughing, "Sure...you're definitely cut off." Oh lordy.
He continued talking to me, and my mood slowly started to improve. Maybe he didn't care that his buddies and everyone in the bar saw me fall...just maybe he was still interested. This thought made me happy. Alex handed me her drink to hold while she ran to the restroom. At this moment Im not sure what came over my hand..because the cup didn't slip out of my grasp..and I didn't let go of it...it was like I twitched and threw her drink all over his shirt and shoes. Her LIME GREEN drink. We both sat there for a minute in silence. I could not decide what to say, I was too busy beating myself up in my head.
Finally I sighed, "You know..I have done alot of things to scare you away..so if you would like to go now..I understand." This night was absolutely terrible. I was feeling so bad at this point I actually wanted him to just walk off because I was horrified at what else I may do if he stayed around. To my great surprise he grabbed my hand and smiled at me, "Its okay...maybe next time we see eachother you shouldn't wear those shoes and just keep all beverages away from me." My brain was struggling to process the current situation. Was he actually holding my hand? I sat there looking at him, with his now wet attire and he was smiling. Like genuinely.. smiling. After how silly I was he still wanted to see me again, and although my night hadn't gone at all like I had planned..I couldn't be happier with this ending.


For my concluding statement, I would like to inform everyone that from this night I acquired a very large bruise on my knee, and one on the side on my butt. How I managed to bruise two completely opposites sides of my body in one fall, I may never know. Even though my ending wasn't sad, I still firmly believe that this was one of those nights I just should have stayed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment